HomeHomeArticle Archives

SUSAN G. KOMEN FOR THE CURE® AND XERNONA CLAYTON ANNOUNCE ONE-WOMAN SHOW TO HELP FIGHT BREAST CANCER

Susan G. Komen for the Cure®'s Circle of Promise is partnering with civil rights icon and

Xernona Clayton

 television pioneer Xernona Clayton on April 1, to present a one-woman show aimed at engaging, educating and empowering women of color to end breast cancer.

The event, An Evening with Xernona, will be held on Wednesday, April 1, 2009 in the LA Ballroom of the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza in Los Angeles at 7:30 p.m. An Evening with Xernona features Ms. Clayton and friends including Richard Roundtree, actor and breast cancer survivor; Dawnn Lewis, actress and singer; Rev. Bernice King, international speaker and daughter of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Coretta Scott King, and other local and national celebrities. Seating for the event is limited. Please call 404.455.4946 or email This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it for reservations.

"We treasure our relationship with this inspiring icon of dignity, achievement and service," said Andrea Anderson, director, integrated marketing at Susan G. Komen for the Cure®. "Ms. Clayton's one-woman show will make you laugh and cry as she talks about her work and friendships with famous history-makers."

Ms. Clayton, an award winning journalist, is also the founder, president and CEO of the Trumpet Awards Foundation, Inc. and creator and executive producer of the Trumpet Awards, a prestigious event highlighting African American accomplishments. In 1965, she accepted a position with the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and worked closely with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. She also traveled extensively with Mrs. Coretta Scott King. Ms. Clayton was employed by Turner Broadcasting for nearly 30 years as one of the highest-ranking female employees.

Since 1996, the Susan G. Komen for the Cure® Los Angeles County Affiliate has contributed over $7 million to provide support for breast cancer services sponsored by local non-profit clinics, hospitals and community based organizations in Los Angeles County. 75% of the net proceeds from local fundraisers stay in Los Angeles County to fund community grants and the remaining 25% of net proceeds helps fund Komen for the Cure breast cancer research.

For more information about Susan G. Komen for the Cure, breast health or breast cancer, visit www.komen.org or call 1-877 GO KOMEN.

 

Get our news by email!

Please be sure to add pasadenajournal.com to your approved senders list before subscribing! Learn More
Unsubscribe any time

Search the Journal

Login

Some sections of our site are for registered and/or paid subscribers only. Please login or create an account.



Missing Something?

Did you know you can get the Pasadena Journal weekly print publication for more news and information?

Read more...

Related Items

Calendar of Events

<<  April 2014  >>
 Su  Mo  Tu  We  Th  Fr  Sa 
    1  2  3  4  5
  6  7  8  9101112
13141516171819
202122232425
272830