A World Peace Gathering of International Leaders Slated for Atlanta November 29 – December 2
WHAT: The Fourth Annual Global Peace Convention is a four-day summit engaging government and civil leaders in a collaborative exchange on the challenge of peace. The conference is will consist of keynotes, plenary, workshops and panel discussions as well as business and networking training and workshop sessions.
Conference Theme: Moral and Innovative Leadership: Building Healthy Families, Ethical Societies, and a Global Culture of Peace.
WHEN: November 29 through December 2, 2012.
WHERE: Convention headquarters: The Marriott Marquis Hotel, 265 Peachtree Center Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30303. Other sites include The Carter Center, 453 Freedom Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30307; The King Center, 449 Auburn Avenue NE, Atlanta, GA 30312; and the Points of Light Headquarters, 600 Means Street, Suite 210, Atlanta, GA 30318.
WHO: Convention Co-Hosts: GA Senator Emanuel Jones and Dr. Robert A Schuller Jr. , Evangelist & Author.
Other Government Officials: Jason Carter, GA Senator; Ambassador Oscar Alverez Araya (Costa Rica), Diplomat, Author, and Educator; Ambassador Rev. Elizabeth Ogbon-Day (Nigeria), Diplomat & Princess of Nigeria; Kasim Reed, Mayor, City of Atlanta. Many other high-level governmental officials and community leaders are participants in workshops and summit sessions throughout the convention. (See below for more detail.)
- The American Summit (Carter Center) – November 29
Organized in partnership with Latin America, convenes eleven former presidents of Central and South American countries including: H.E. Marco Vinicio Cerezo, Guatemala; H.E. Luis Alberto Lacalle, Uruguay; H.E. Juan Carlos Wasmosy, Paraguay; H.E. Gustavo Noboa Bejarano, Ecuador; H.E. Jaime Paz Zamora, Bolivia; H.E. Jorge 'Tuto" Quiroga, Bolivia; H. E. Alvaro Colom Caballeros, Guatemala; H.E. Rafael Hipólito Mej?a, Dominican Republic; H.E. Elias Antonio Saca, El Salvador; H.E. Carlos Diego Mesa, Bolivia; and H.E. Nicolas Ardito Barletta, Panama. This summit continues throughout the convention agenda on 11/30 and 12/1.
- Global Peace Business Forum (Marriott Marquis) – November 29
The forum examines markets, trends and opportunities for American international business investments and key private sector initiatives in Asia demonstrating "doing well by doing good." This forum continues throughout the convention agenda on 11/30 and 12/1.
- Points of Light Workshop (Points of Light Headquarters) – November 29
Michelle Nunn, CEO at Points of Light, leads a workshop on national and local strategies for transforming international volunteerism.
- Global Peace Awards Banquet (Marriott Marquis) – December 1
Honoring government, civil society and faith leaders and organizations. Nominees include: Bishop Manoel Ferreira (Brazil) a 2006 Nobel Peace Prize Nominee; Dr. Jeffery M. Johnson (USA); Tri Mumpuni Wiyatno Puni (Indonesia); The Honorable Vinicio Cerezo (Guatemala) former president; H. E. Massoud Barzani (Iraqi), President Autonomous Iraqi Kurdistan; Dr. Manu Chandaria, OBE, EBE, (Kenya); Ms. Aruna Chandaria (Kenya); and Dr. Tae-Hwan Kwak (Korea).
- International Young Leaders Forum (King Center) – December 2
This forum enables delegates to interact with civil rights icons including GA US Representative John Lewis, Reverend Dr. Joseph Lowery, Ambassador Andrew Young and Reverend Dr. Bernice King (daughter of Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.) in a Town Hall setting.
OTHER CONVENTION HIGHLIGHTS:
Featured speakers include:
- Points of Light –Delores Morton, and Gared Jones with Ms. Nunn.
- American Summit – Former presidents (see list of heads of state above).
- Business Forum – Mayor Kasim Reed; business owners and CEOs interested in global markets; World trade representatives from various countries.
- Peace Awards Banquet -- (see list of honorees above).
- International Young Leaders Forum -- GA US Representative John Lewis, Reverend Dr. Joseph Lowery, Ambassador Andrew Young and Reverend Dr. Bernice King.
- More than twenty-five (25) workshops and/or panels.
- Two Plenary Sessions/Power Panels -- Friday, November 30 and Saturday, December 1.
CONTACTS: Conference Information: Michael Marshall, 202-302-3756.