Editor's Note: The PUSD Weekly Newsflash will not be published December 28 or January 4 due to the winter recess. The Newsflash will resume January 11, 2013.
- The schools of the Pasadena Unified School District (PUSD) will be closed for the annual winter break from December 24 through January 4, 2013. Classes resume Monday, January 7, 2013. Many central offices will be closed as well.
- The application period for 2013-2014 Open Enrollment begins January 23, 2012. Open Enrollment is PUSD's school of choice program. Applications will be accepted for admission in popular specialized programs such as:
- Dual Language Immersion - Spanish (now offered on two campuses)
- Dual Language Immersion - Mandarin Chinese
- Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math (STEAM) middle school magnet
- International Baccalaureate schools
- College & Career Pathways in themed academies such as the new App Academy and existing academies such as Engineering & Environmental Science, Culinary and Hospitality and Business & Entrepreneurship.
Please visit www.openenrollment.info to learn more about the open enrollment process.
3. Starting in January, college-bound seniors and their families can begin submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for state and federal grants, loans and work-study funds. For more information, go to www.calgrants.org. The filing period begins in January and ends March 2, 2013.
December 24, 2012 - January 4, 2013 -- PUSD schools closed for winter break. Many district offices will also be closed.
Monday, January 7, 2013 -- School resumes.
Tuesday, January 8 at 3 p.m. -- The PUSD Board of Education Finance Subcommittee meets. Lower Level Conference Room, 351 S. Hudson Avenue, Pasadena.
Thursday, January 10 at 2 p.m. -- The PUSD Board of Education Policy Subcommittee meets. Room 240, 351 S. Hudson Avenue, Pasadena.
Tuesday, January 15 at 5:30 p.m. -- The PUSD Board of Education meets in public session. Spanish translation provided. Meeting agendas are posted at www.pusd.us in advance of the meeting. Elbie J. Hickambottom Board Room, 351 S. Hudson Avenue, Pasadena. Broadcast and streamed live on KLRN-TV and www.pusd.us.
Friday, January 18 -- Staff development day. No classes for students.
Saturday, January 19 from 8 a.m. to Noon -- Join the John Muir High School community in beautifying the Muir campus as part of "A Day On, Not Off" in celebration of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday. After planting there will be a program with students from Muir High School. Food will also be available. John Muir High School, 1905 Lincoln Ave, Pasadena.
Saturday, January 19 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. -- Students in grades 6-12 are invited to TEDxYouth@Caltech: Brain Food, a student-run event on ideas worth spreading in Technology, Entertainment and Design (TED). The event includes a day of talks, lunch, games and fun on the subject of "what feeds your brain?" California Institute of Technology Beckman Auditorium, 332 S. Michigan Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91125 Tickets: $5.00 for students grades 6-12. All other tickets $25. Purchase tickets online at www.tedxyouthcaltech.com.
Monday, January 21 -- Schools and offices closed in observance of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday.