Applications Accepted for STEAM Middle School Magnet, Dual Language Immersion, International Baccalaureate, Themed High School Academies and Other Schools Through February 12, 2013.
Pasadena, CA – The Pasadena Unified School District's (PUSD) annual Open Enrollment application period for the 2013-2014 academic year is January 23 through February 12, 2013. Open Enrollment is the district's school of choice program that offers students the opportunity to attend schools with themed or specialized programs or a campus outside of their neighborhood school's attendance boundaries.
Offerings for the 2013-2014 school year include dual language immersion programs in Spanish and Mandarin Chinese; a Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math (STEAM) middle school magnet, International Baccalaureate programs from kindergarten through 12th grade, and eight College & Career Pathways for high school students.
"The choice of academic programs offered by our schools reflects the wealth of cultural, science and technological resources that make the greater Pasadena area a desirable and distinctive choice for residents and businesses," said Superintendent Jon R. Gundry, who has emphasized rigorous academics and the importance of 21st century learning skills of critical thinking, communication, creativity and collaboration in PUSD classrooms. "Beginning in kindergarten, our students acquire a solid academic foundation, along with fluency in global languages and culture. They learn to be creative and disciplined thinkers who are prepared to apply what they've learned to global situations."
Specialized programs for the 2013-2014 include:
- Two K-5 Dual Language Immersion programs in Spanish at San Rafael Elementary and Jackson Elementary Schools
- A K-5 Dual Language Immersion Program in Mandarin Chinese at Field Elementary School
- The new STEAM Magnet at Washington Middle School for students in grades 6-8
- The International Baccalaureate Programme for K-5 at Willard Elementary, grades 6-8 at Blair Middle School and the Diploma Programme for grades 9-12 at Blair High School
- Eight College & Career Pathways-- themed high school academies that partner with local institutions and businesses to provide mentoring and workplace learning opportunities:
- The App Academy: Mobile, Web and Game Development at Pasadena High School
- Arts, Entertainment and Media Pathway at John Muir High School
- Business and Entrepreneurship Pathway at John Muir High School
- Creative Arts, Media and Design Pathway at Pasadena High School
- Culinary Arts and Hospitality Pathway at Blair High School
- Engineering and Environmental Science Pathway at John Muir High School
- Health Careers Pathway at Blair High School
- Law and Public Service Pathway at Pasadena High School
All students entering kindergarten-11th grade in 2013-2014 are eligible to apply. Parents and guardians should submit an application if:
- They wish to apply for a different PUSD school for the 2013-2014 school year
- Their child is enrolling in PUSD for the first time and wishes to attend a school other than their neighborhood school
- Their child is a Special Education student in Special Day Classes (SDC) transitioning to middle school. (Final placement will be determined by the IEP process, based on the most appropriate program for the individual student's needs. Please contact the Special Education Department for more information or clarification: (626) 396-3600 x. 88600.)
Applications for PUSD's three permit-only schools, Don Benito (K-5), Norma Coombs (K-5) and Marshall Fundamental (6-12), are also accepted during the Open Enrollment period. The three permit-only schools, along with the three dual language immersion campuses (Jackson, Field and San Rafael) are subject to "neighborhood preference" when 35 percent of open seats are set aside for students who live within defined zones around the schools.
Children must be five years old on or before October 1, 2013 to enroll in kindergarten for the 2013-2014 school year. PUSD offers voluntary Transitional Kindergarten (TK), the first of a two-year kindergarten experience for students who will turn five years old between October 2 and December 2, 2013. TK offers children developmentally appropriate curriculum aligned with kindergarten standards, taught by credentialed teachers.
To participate in PUSD's Open Enrollment, complete the 2013-2014 application online at www.openenrollment.info. Applicants may indicate up to five school choices in order of preference. Open Enrollment closes on February 12. School placement is done by random lottery and placement is not based on when an application is submitted. Families participating in Open Enrollment will be notified about their school placement by March 11, 2013.
Assistance and computers for Internet access to complete the online application are available on the following dates and locations:
- Wednesday, January 23 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at PUSD Computer Lab, Room 240, Ed Center, 351 S. Hudson Avenue, Pasadena
- Thursday, January 31 and Thursday, February 7 during school hours (typically 8 a.m. – 3 p.m.) at PUSD Schools
- January 24 – February 11 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at PUSD Welcome Center, Room 121, Ed Center, 351 S. Hudson Avenue, Pasadena
- Tuesday, February 12 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. at PUSD Welcome Center, Room 121, Ed Center, 351 S. Hudson Avenue, Pasadena
Families can learn more about PUSD and its schools by viewing the PUSD School Guide at gopusd.com/schoolguide (Spanish translation will be available shortly).
For more information about the Open Enrollment process, timelines and answers to frequently asked questions, please visit www.openenrollment.info or call 626-396-3600, ext. 88340.