Pasadena, CA - The Pasadena Unified School District (PUSD) is taking the typical science fair to a new, higher level April 11th at Blair High School. PUSD's Innovation Exposition is a novel approach to inspire students to think critically and explore their interests and talents in science.
The Innovation Exposition enables individual and student teams to explore their interests and talents by offering five elective categories aligned with PUSD's Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) curriculum from which students can choose:
- Invention: Design process and construction
- Science Fiction: Literature of ideas
- Environmental Innovation: Environmentally innovative ideas
- Engineering (Reverse): Discovery and analysis
- Scientific Inquiry: experimentation category
Projects at the Innovation Exposition will be judged by experts including Caltech and JPL scientists and engineers.
"The variety of project ideas that the students have developed is extraordinary," said Jodi Marchesso, PUSD STEM Curriculum Coach. "The Innovation Exposition is encouraging students to develop their own talents and interests in science. Students will create innovative solutions in response to complex questions, problems or challenges, as a way to learn academic content and develop communication, collaboration and critical thinking skills."
PUSD is turning to STEM education to engage students in rigorous and relevant learning and to prepare them to make informed decisions about their careers and college aspirations. STEM and Project-based learning (PBL) teaches students to think in unconventional ways about solving problems that we face in our work and lives. The PUSD STEM program will prepare students to be critical thinkers, high achievers, socially aware and scientifically literate, as well as respectful and responsible citizens in a global community.
For more information about the Innovation Exposition visit https://sites.google.com/a/pusd.us/innovationexposition/home.
- Event: PUSD Innovation Exposition
- Date/Time:April 11th, 2014
- The Innovation Exposition will open to the public from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- The Exposition awards ceremony is scheduled from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Location: Blair High School, 1201 South Marengo Avenue, Pasadena