Pasadena, CA — Join us to experience a unique, car-free Colorado Boulevard like never before on May 17 during the Mayor's Ride, Roll and Stroll sponsored by Kaiser Permanente. The Ride, Roll and Stroll caps a series of family fun events during Pasadena's Bike Week, May 11-17, that culminates just hours later as dozens of professional cyclists blaze through the streets of Downtown Pasadena to the Stage 7 Finish Line at historic City Hall as part of the exciting Amgen Tour of California race!
The public is invited to join Mayor Bill Bogaard from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. to ride bikes, skateboard, jog, roller skate, stroll and otherwise enjoy a car-free Colorado Boulevard during Kaiser Permanente's Ride, Roll and Stroll event. A full list of all Bike Week activities appears below.
Thousands of bicyclists are expected to gather with Mayor Bogaard in front of City Hall, 100 N. Garfield Avenue, at Holly Street, to start the event with a non-competitive bike ride. Following the bike riders will be walkers, joggers, skaters and anyone else who wants to experience a car-free Colorado Boulevard between Pasadena Avenue and Lake Avenue. Pets are invited, too!
The first-of-it-kind event in Pasadena will allow the public to experience several districts that are linked by Colorado Boulevard, including Old Pasadena, the Civic Center and the Playhouse District, in a whole new way. Attendees are also encouraged to patronize local merchants as they traverse the Ride, Roll and Stroll route.
Everyone is also invited to stay to watch the dazzling finish of the Amgen Tour of California Stage 7 where it ends at City Hall. From 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., May 17, the Pasadena Visitors and Convention Bureau's Visitor Hotline, (626) 795-9311, will take calls about event activities and road closures.
The Mayor's Ride, Roll and Stroll presented by Kaiser Permanente is a free event. Participants can register online at http://amgentourofcalifornia.com/pasadenaride. Registration is not required to participate, however.
Motorists are advised that portions of Colorado Boulevard will be closed for both events. During the Ride, Roll and Stroll, motorists will be able to cross Colorado Boulevard at Fair Oaks Avenue or Los Robles Avenue. For more information, including a route map, visit www.pasadenacal.com/riderollstroll.
Attendees & participants are reminded:
- This is not a race. Take time to enjoy the ride!
- Share the road!. Slower bicyclists and walkers please stay to the right.
- Stay hydrated by drinking water and use sunscreen throughout the day's event.
- Wear a helmet and other safety gear as appropriate.
- Police will begin clearing streets at 1:30 p.m. to clear course for Amgen race participants.
"If You See Something, Say Something!"
For crimes in progress, suspicious activity or life-threatening situations, remember to always call 9-1-1 and/or notify the nearest uniformed officer at the event. Be prepared to speak calmly, give your location and provide the basic details of the nature of your call.
Remember, personnel from the Pasadena Police and Fire Department will be on scene to help protect you and respond to any emergencies. For other non-emergency calls, contact the Pasadena Police Department at (626) 744-4241.
Pasadena's Bike Week May 11-17
Pasadena's Bike Week, www.cityofpasadena.net/trans/bikeweek, is an annual week-long celebration of all things bicycle co-sponsored by the City and CICLE (Cyclists Inciting Change Thru Live Exchange (CICLE), http://www.cicle.org, as a safe, sustainable way to get around town. The events are held in May in conjunction with National Bicycle Month by the League of American Bicyclists, www.bikeleague.org/bikemonth.
The activities emphasize how to navigate safely in traffic and encourage motorists and bicyclists alike to safely share the road. The emphasis is on fun, safety, healthy lifestyles and reducing dependence on car transportation. While all residents are encouraged to participate in at least one Bike Week activity, also consider making bicycle riding a year-round activity!
- Bike Ed Day from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Sunday, May 11. Stop at Incycle, located at 175 S. Fair Oaks Avenue, for a traffic safety lesson and "nuts-and-bolts" primer on fixing your own bike.
- A Taste of Pasadena Ride from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m., Monday, May 12. Sample food at Pasadena Playhouse District restaurants, Whole Foods and the Luggage Room Pizzeria. Meet first at Memorial Park, 85 E. Holly Street.
- Shop by Bike Day Tuesday, May 13. Cyclists can pedal to participating Pasadena businesses to receive discounts and incentives for shopping by bike! List of participating businesses at www.cicle.org/attend-an-event/bike-week-pasadena/shopbybikeday.
- Women on Bikes Night, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m., Wednesday, May 14. A group ride to Pasadena Cyclery for a safety clinic with Team Luna Chix. Participants will learn cycling tips and how to polish their night riding skills. Event concludes with a social gathering at a restaurant. Meet first at Memorial Park, 85 E. Holly Street.
- Bike to Work Day, Thursday, May 15. All commuters are encouraged to get out of your car and on your bike! Special "Pit Stop" event from 6:30 to 8:30 a.m. at Pasadena City Hall (Euclid Avenue side) with local bicycle vendors, displays and free refreshments for bike-to-work riders! Locations and information on other Bike to Work Pit Stops in the greater Pasadena and Los Angeles County areas can be found at www.metro.net/bikes/bike-week.
- Bike-in Movie Night from 7:00 to 11:00 p.m., Friday, May 16. Bike in to Paseo Colorado to watch a fun bike flick in the courtyard, enjoy snacks and enter a bicycle raffle. Meet first at Caltech's Beckman Lawn, 440 S. Wilson Avenue.
- Kaiser Permanente Ride, Roll & Stroll and Bike Ride With the Mayor, beginning 11:00 a.m., Saturday, May 17 through 1:30 p.m. at Pasadena City Hall, 100 N. Garfield Avenue. Join the Mayor for a family-friendly ride celebrating the last day of Bike Week Pasadena. After the ride, cyclists are invited to stay to watch Amgen Tour of California competitors whisk their way through Pasadena, where the race ends.
Stay connected to the City of Pasadena! Visit us online at www.cityofpasadena.net; follow us on Twitter @PasadenaGov, www.twitter.com/pasadenagov, and like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/cityofpasadena. Or call the Citizen Service Center, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday at (626) 744-7311.