A free screening of "A Time to Be Remembered: A Juneteenth Story," starts at 6 p.m. Thursday, June 19, at the Alkebu-Lan Cultural Center, 1435 N. Raymond Avenue as part of the Juneteenth Festival. The film explores slavery; the people and events that led to its abolition.
The sixth annual Juneteenth Festival runs 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, June 21, at the Jackie Robinson Community Center, 1020 N. Fair Oaks Ave. This year's celebration coincides with the Jackie Robinson Community Center's 40th anniversary of serving the community.
The free event will include food, arts and crafts for children and performances by Andre Ray of rhythm and blues/funk band L.T.D, Bobby Wilkerson & The All Stars, Rhythms of the Village drum and dance circle, Calvary CME Church gospel choir and more.
The City's popular Parks After Dark Program returns Wednesday, July 9, 2014, through Saturday, August 16, 2014. People of all ages can enjoy free activities that include sports leagues, fitness classes, arts and crafts, cooking classes, teen activities, recreational swimming, as well as movies and concerts in the park.
The public can participate in activities at three Pasadena locations:
- Robinson Park Recreation Center, 1081 N. Fair Oaks Avenue, (626) 744-7330
- Villa-Parke Community Center, 363 E. Villa Street, (626) 744-6530
- La Pintoresca Teen Education Center, 1415 N. Raymond Avenue, (626) 345-0708
Activities for the 2014 season are offered at:
- Robinson Park Recreation Center: 6 p.m - 10 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday, July 9 – August 16;
- Villa-Parke Community Center: 6 p.m. - 10 p.m. Thursday through Saturday, July 10 – August 16.
- La Pintoresca Teen Education Center 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. Wednesday through Thursday, July 9 – August 14.
To kick off the summer program, the Pasadena Police Department will compete against the community in a softball competition 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 9 at Robinson Park Recreation Center.
[Stay connected to the City of Pasadena! Visit us online at www.cityofpasadena.net; follow us on Twitter @PasadenaGov, www.twitter.com/pasadenagov, and like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/cityofpasadena. Or call the Citizen Service Center, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, at (626) 744-7311.]