Pictured from l-r: Role models, Dr. Audra Grubbs, honoree Robert A. Villarreal, Brenda Wright, Charles Winston, honorees Ah'Shirae, Lydia Jimenez and Darron McWhorter, and tole model Lesley Thompson. [Photo credit: Starr Photoz.]
For the past 14 years, every March, Aspires West Pasadena has presented the Role Models for Youth Luncheon. The theme this year was "Educational Challenges Makes the World A Better Place."
This yearly event held at Brookside Golf Club, has focused on outstanding people who have made significant contributions to the city, state, and country and at the same time served as role models for student honorees.
The student honorees represented various high schools in the community. They will be graduating and beginning to tackle their education and career goals.
The Aspires West Student Success Program is an after school program designed to enable students to master Mathematics, Language Arts, Computer Technology, assist with Home Work Assignments, and Develop Healthy & Safe Life Styles.
The Honorees include:
- Ah 'Shirae Arana, Senior Pasadena High School;
- Darron McWhorter; Senior Maranatha High School;
- Robert Alexander Villarreal, Senior Academia Semillas del Pueblo Charter School;
- Jacob Cowherd, Senior Upland High School;
- Breanna Wright, Senior Marshall Fundamental High School; and
- Lydia Jimenez, Senior John Muir High School.
Over 200 people enjoyed three hours of fellowship, delicious food and entertainment.