Pasadena Unified School District News
The 2012-2013 academic year begins Wednesday, August 22, 2012 for students of the Pasadena Unified School District (PUSD). Important announcements include:
- Students entering or advancing into seventh gradewill need proof of an adolescent whooping cough booster immunization (called Tdap) in order to attend school this fall. For immunization requirements for K-12 students, go to www.health-programs.pasadenausd.org or call (626) 396-3600 extension 88180. The PUSD clinic will offer free immunizations for students only on August 20 from 8:30 a.m. until 12 p.m. at 351 S. Hudson Avenue, Pasadena. Immunizations will also be available for students every Monday starting August 27 from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the PUSD clinic.
- After school programs are available through the district's Pasadena LEARNs office. For more information, call (626) 396-3614. After school programs are also available through the City of Pasadena After School Adventures Program. For more information call 626-744-7302 or visit cityofpasadena.net/HumanServices/After_School_Playgrounds/.
- Families who think that they may qualify are encouraged to apply for the federal free and reduced price school meal program. Applications have been mailed to student's homes and are available at PUSD schools. For more information, contact PUSD's Food Services at (626) 396-5850.
- PUSD welcomes four new principals this year:
- Lorena Martinez, principal of Eliot Middle School;
- Tim Sippel; principal of John Muir High School;
- Rodolfo Ramirez, Jr., principal of San Rafael Elementary; and
- Jeffrey Bauer, principal of Webster Elementary School.
- Rose City High School principal Eric Sahakian has been promoted to Director of the district's Child Welfare, Attendance and Safety department. He replaces Sonia Rodarte, who has accepted a position with the Santa Ana Unified School District. They will work together in the next month to ensure a smooth transition.
NEXT WEEK & BEYOND
Wednesday, August 22
Times vary. The 2012-2013 academic year begins asmore than 18,000 students return to schoolin PUSD. Please contact schools for specific start and dismissal times, registration and traffic instructions.
Saturday, August 25
8:30 a.m. Roosevelt Elementary School invites you to participate in the Devil's Gate Dam 5K Run/Walk and Special Needs Awareness Expo in support of Danny's Farm, the working farm for children and adults with autism and other developmental disabilities. For more information, visit www.devilsgatedam5k.com Hahamonga Watershed Park, Oak Grove Drive and Foothill Blvd., Pasadena.
Monday, August 27
6:30 p.m. PUSD's Community AdvisoryCommittee for Special Education invites parents, teachers, administrators and staff to "Fostering Empathy and Action in Our Schools," a workshop to help prevent bullying. The workshop will be led by Dan Alba, director of the Los Angeles office of Facing History and Ourselves, the international educational and professional development organization whose mission is to engage students of diverse backgrounds in an examination of racism, prejudice and anti-semitism in order to promote the development of a more humane and informed citizenry. Edison Professional Development Complex, 119 W. Palm Avenue, Altadena. For more information, go to www.cac.pasadenausd.org or contact CAC Chair Joy Costello at (626) 797-9697.
Tuesday, August 28
5:30 p.m. The Board of Education meets in public session. Spanish translation provided. Meetings are broadcast live on KLRN-TV and streamed live at www.pusd.us. Meeting agendas are posted in advance at www.pusd.us. Elbie J. Hickabottom Board Room, 351 S. Hudson Avenue, Pasadena.
Monday, September 3
All day. PUSD schools and offices closed in observance of Labor Day.