Sacramento, CA - June 27, 2013 – The nine-member California Legislative Black Caucus (CLBC) today named its CLBC California Scholars, Class of 2013, a 25-member group of deserving high school and college students striving to achieve their post-secondary educational goals.
The CLBC California Scholars selected this year for the highly competitive statewide post-secondary education advancement program will receive a $2,500 CLBC California Scholars Financial Assistance Scholarship and a Hewlett Packard laptop computer.
CLBC Chair and Assemblymember Holly J. Mitchell said, "The CLBC California Scholars program is a cornerstone of our collective legislative efforts to have a major, sustained impact on the lives and education of our state's young people."
"From early childhood learning to college graduation, education is one of the two critical policy issues that we have made the focus of our CLBC Agenda 2020.
The CLBC California Scholars program helps deserving college-bound high school students with the financial burdens of college, and helps college students overcome financial hurdles that may block their path to graduation in their major and commencement," CLBC Chair Mitchell said.
"The CLBC California Scholars, Class of 2013 is impressive. These students are motivated to learn, grow, mature and attain the knowledge they know it will take to succeed as adults in a highly competitive working world. Our efforts are intended to help support their hard work in classroom and lecture halls at the schools where they have chosen to pursue their educational goals," she added.
Each CLBC member selected two deserving college-bound high school students or college attendees from applicants representing their legislative districts. Seven additional students were selected from this year's statewide list of CLBC California Scholars program applicants:
ASSEMBLYMEMBER HOLLY J. MITCHELL (D-?54)
- Candiss Hart (Los Angeles) – Graduate, Crenshaw High School. Admitted: UCLA.
- Lawrence Vinson, III (Los Angeles) – Graduate, California Academy of Mathematics and Science. Admitted: Northwestern University.
SENATOR ROD WRIGHT (D-?35)
- Deon Goodrich (Los Angeles) – Graduate, Washington Prep High School. Admitted: UC Santa Cruz.
- Robin Green (Inglewood) – Graduate, Mira Costa High School. Admitted: St. Johns University.
ASSEMBLYMEMBER STEVEN BRADFORD (D-?62)
- Matthew Koger (Gardena) Graduate, Opportunities for Learning Public Charter School, Hawthorne. Admitted: California State University, Sacramento.
- Alexis Hendon (Inglewood) – Graduate, North High School, Torrance. Admitted: Prairie View A&M University.
ASSEMBLYMEMBER ISADORE HALL (D-?64)
- Summer McKeller (Lakewood) – Graduate, Lakewood High School. Admitted: Long Beach City College.
- Armani Taylor (Compton) – Attending: Harbor Teacher Preparation Academy.
ASSEMBLYMEMBER JONES-?SAWYER (D-?59)
- Brandon Giles (Los Angeles) – Graduate, Foshay Learning Center. Admitted: California State University, Long Beach.
- Christal Mims (Los Angeles) - Graduate, Alexander Hamilton High School. Admitted: UC Riverside.
ASSEMBLYMEMBER WEBER (D-?79)
- Taleah Tyrell (San Diego) – Graduate, San Diego Academy. Admitted: Pacific Union College.
- Ali Yusuf (San Diego) – Graduate, Crawford High School. Admitted: California State University, San Marcos.
SENATOR PRICE (D-?26)
- Anthony Stidum (Los Angeles) – Graduate, Ramon Cortines School of Visual & Performing Arts.
- Nkechi Unaka (Los Angeles) – Attending: Los Angeles Southwest College.
ASSEMBLYMEMBER BROWN (D-?47)
- Sion Habtemariam (San Bernardino) – Graduate, Citrus Valley High School. Admitted: UC Irvine.
- Alexis Washington (Rialto) – Graduate, Summit High School – Admitted: California State University, Fullerton.
ASSEMBLYMEMBER HOLDEN (D-?41)
- Rachel McKnight (Pasadena) – Attending: Boston College.
- Matthew Robison(Pasadena) –Graduate,Pasadena High School. Admitted: California State University, San Diego.
Darnell Cooley Scholar 2013
- Kaylah Cooley (Northridge) – Attending: California State University, Northridge.
Statewide Scholars 2013
- Isaiah Alvidrez (Sacramento) – Graduate, Sacramento High School. Admitted: California State University, Monterey Bay.
- Zachary Brooks (Sacramento) – Graduate, Christian Brothers High School. Admitted: Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
- Cheyanne Harris (Sacramento) – Graduate, Pleasant Grove High School. Admitted: University of the Pacific.
- Brittany Arnold (Fresno) – Attending: California State University, Fresno.
- Kevin Stephens (Oakland) – Graduate, Oakland High School. Admitted: UC Riverside.
- Amber Cato (San Francisco) – Graduate, Gateway High School. Admitted: Marymount College.
For more information on the CLBC California Scholars program, go to blackcaucus.legislature.ca.gov/clbccaliforniascholars. For information on the CLBC's Agenda 2020' policy initiatives, please go to blackcaucus.legislature.ca.gov.