Congresswoman Holds Press Conference Providing Details to Residents of 27th Congressional District
Pasadena, CA – With tax season rapidly approaching, Congresswoman Judy Chu (CA-27) held a press conference today announcing two free programs she will provide residents of the 27th Congressional District to help them navigate the tax process.
Now in its fourth year with her office, the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program will provide free income tax preparation for taxpayers earning $51,000 or less. In addition, the Congresswoman's office is running the IRS Facilitated Self-Assistance (FSA) Program. Through FSA, qualified taxpayers earning $57,000 or less can prepare and file online their own state and federal tax returns for free.
"Tax preparation can be an arduous and stressful process, but it doesn't have to be," said Congresswoman Judy Chu. "Moderate and low-income people have every right to the professional tax advice that higher earners take advantage of. That's why the VITA and FSA programs are so important – they ensure that valuable tax guidance is not reserved for the privileged few. In today's economic climate, allowing everyone to receive the credits available to them and maximize their returns will increase spending power and help our economy recover faster."
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program provides free income tax preparation for taxpayers earning $51,000 or less per year. Over the past three years, Rep. Chu's office has saved taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars in federal income tax refunds, with over half a million saved in 2012 alone.
The new Facilitated Self-Assistance (FSA) Program allows taxpayers to prepare their own returns with assistance from a trained VITA certified tax preparer. If the taxpayer meets program requirements, tax preparation and electronic filing of both federal and state returns are free. Returns can be prepared at one of FSA sites Rep. Chu is providing, or can be completed online at any time at the following links:
According to the IRS, Rep. Chu is the only Member of Congress providing these services to the public.
VITA Program Eligibility:
- Adjusted Gross Income less than $51,000
- Basic tax returns
FSA Program Eligibility:
- Adjusted Gross Income less than $57,000
- Basic tax returns
- Valid email address
- Valid SSN or ITIN
- No foreign income
The 2013 VITA and FSA Schedule:
Mondays – VITA Only
- February 4 to April 8, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Congresswoman Chu's District Office, 527 South Lake Avenue, Suite 106, Pasadena, CA 91101.
Tuesdays – FSA Only
- February 5 to April 9, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Alhambra Civic Center Library, 101 S. First Street, Alhambra, CA 91801.
Wednesdays – VITA Only
- February 6 to April 10, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Congresswoman Chu's District Office, 527 South Lake Avenue, Suite 106, Pasadena, CA 91101.
Thursdays – VITA & FSA
- February 7 to April 11, from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Arcadia Public Library, 20 W Duarte Road, Arcadia, CA 91007.
Fridays – VITA Only
- February 8 to April 12, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Congresswoman Chu's District Office, 527 South Lake Avenue, Suite 106, Pasadena, CA 91101.
Here's what you'll need to bring:
- Valid Photo ID
- Social Security Card or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number for all family members
- All W-2's and 1099's (if any)
- Copy of Prior-Year Tax Return
- Bank Account and Routing Number for Direct Deposit or balance due
- Other income/expense information
- Total Tuition Fees and Expenses
- Total Expenses Paid for Child/Day Care
- Day Care Providers Identifying Number
- Landlord's name, address and phone number for CA Renter's Credit
Participating taxpayers can make their appointment for free filing assistance by calling the Congresswoman Judy Chu's district office (626)304-0110.