Participation in new and ongoing learning opportunities is essential for healthy aging. The Pasadena Senior Center, 85 E. Holly St., offers dozens of classes for members and nonmembers, ranging from ballroom dance and Zumba Gold.
As the July 8 registration deadline for summer classes approaches, members and nonmembers of the Pasadena Senior Center can sample the most popular offerings for free by attending mini-class sessions, meeting the instructors and learning more about the courses.
Known as Class Tasting, the samplings will take place Tuesday, July 5, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Wednesday, July 6, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Some samplings will be onsite at the Pasadena Senior Center and others will be online via Zoom. Everyone who registers for sample classes via Zoom will receive an email link to the Class Tasting.
Tuesday, July 5
• 10 a.m. – Strength Training via Zoom online
• 10 a.m. – Beginner/Intermediate Tap in the Dance Studio
• 10:30 a.m. – Music for Wellness in the Community Room
• 12:30 p.m. – BollyX via Zoom online
• 3 p.m. – Zumba Gold in the East Pavilion
Wednesday, July 6
• 9 a.m. – Yoga in the East Pavilion and via Zoom online
• 9:30 a.m. – Beginning French in the Community Room
• 10:30 a.m. – Intermediate/Advanced French in the Community Room
• 11 a.m. – Qigong and Tai Chi in the East Pavilion
• 12 p.m. – The Art and Joy of Sewing in the Cliff Benedict Room
• 1 p.m. – “Let Us Play” Improv in the Cliff Benedict Room
• 1 p.m. – Ballroom Dancing in the Dance Studio
• 1:30 p.m. – Ballroom Line Dancing in the Dance Studio
How to Register
The regular summer course schedule will be offered beginning July 11 and will continue weekly through mid-September. Most classes are once a week and some are twice a week. After sampling classes for free July 5 and 6, register for courses at www.pasadenaseniorcenter.org (click on Classes and Lectures, then Classes) or pick up a registration form at the Welcome Desk. The registration deadline is Friday, July 8.
Most courses range from $35 to $55 for members and $45 to $65 for nonmembers. Scholarships for low-income members are available on a limited basis. Ask for scholarship information and applications at the Welcome Desk.
For more information visit the website or call (626) 795-4331.
In addition to onsite and online classes, events and other activities, members and nonmembers of the Pasadena Senior Center are encouraged to visit the website regularly for a monthly magazine, free food delivery for older adults in need, COVID updates specifically for older adults and more.
The center is an independent, donor-supported nonprofit organization that has served older adults for more than 60 years. During the pandemic, doors are open Mondays through Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. for social services as well as the library, Sy Graff Fitness Center, computer lab and limited occupancy for events. Rooms are sanitized after each use.
In accordance with Pasadena Public Health Department guidelines, proof of COVID vaccination is required for everyone who uses the fitness center or attends onsite activities indoors. Masks are optional.